These Pan-fried rice cakes are for when you need some creative and fun ways to use up leftover rice.
Considering that rice is almost a staple in many homes, it may be inevitable to have leftovers.
You can make these for packed lunch because they are perfect for that.
The ingredients are all healthy and light and it is filling so you may only eat a little portion. Except of course for the fact that you may wish to have more.
It is a complete vegetarian one but you could add some ground beef or chicken for meat-eaters.
With this easy recipe on hand, you may not be having idle leftover rice anymore.
If you don’t have leftover rice, you can still try the recipe, just prepare some cooked rice.
More recipes you may like
- Easy and healthy vegetable rice
- Stir-fry Vegetables with noodles
- Pan-fried Potato Cakes
- Easy Pan-fried Risotto balls
- Pan-fried Spaghetti Cakes
How to make Pan-fried Rice Cakes
- 2 cups leftover cooked rice or freshly cooked rice
- 1 large egg
- ½ grated onion
- ½ grated garlic
- 2 spring onions
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 cm grated ginger
- Finely chop the spring onions and spinach. Grate the onion and garlic and mix along with the rice, mixed herbs and soya sauce
- Crack the egg into the bowl and add a good pinch salt and pepper. Use a fork to thoroughly mix the egg through the ingredients
- Add 1 tbsp. oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat to medium. Divide the rice into 8-10 portions and form into burger sized patties. Cook the first batch by gently adding 4-5
patties to the frying pan. (If the rice is too moist to shape into patties, spoon individual portions onto the frying pan
- Using the back of a spoon, shape into 1 cm thick burger sized patties and cook for 6-8 minutes on one side taking care not to move them.)
- Gently turn the cakes with a spatula, add a second tbsp. oil and cook for a further 5
minutes. Transfer the cooked cakes to a tray and keep in a warm oven
- Serve with a dipping sauce made with 2 tbsp. soya sauce, 1 tbsp. water, ½ a chopped spring onion and 1 cm grated ginger if available